Do you find yourself regularly getting tense and anxious? Or maybe you have an important presentation or interview coming up.
Try this quick and easy breathing technique .
It’s a simple and powerful trick you can use at any time when you feel worried, tense, nervous or anxious.
You can also use when you simply need to gather your focus and attention.
The benefit of this exercise is that it can be done anywhere and at any time. It can be done either sitting down or standing up; you can close your eyes if you want or keep them open if you prefer.
- Say firmly but silently to yourself – “TAKE CONTROL”.
- Repeat – “I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT TO” and breath out slowly.
- Slowly breathe in through your nose and then out through pursed lips, allowing the abdomen to soften and rise on the in breath then deflate and return to normal on the out breath.
- Slowly repeat this for 6-8 breaths over the minute with the breath out being slightly longer than the breath in.
- Say to yourself each time – “I AM BREATHING IN PEACE AND BLOWING AWAY TENSION” (make your own phrase that works for you).
- Each time you breathe out, make sure you relax your face, jaw, shoulders and hands.
- If your symptoms persist, repeat this technique for 3-5 minutes until you feel calm and relaxed.
This works because the abdominal breathing reverses and helps control worry, tension, stress, anxiety and panic and using positive thoughts will activate the parasympathetic nervous system and help you to switch off your Fight / Flight reaction. It is the perfect solution to rapidly calm nerves, focus the mind and help you to think more clearly.
REMEMBER – IF YOU ARE RELAXED – YOU CAN’T BE TENSE!